Monday, January 21, 2013

Bananas on the Moon - Week 90. Serving in Sarrat


Hey guys. Sorry but I have a little less time to email this week as I had to do the reporting of our zone numbers. This was a great week though. On Monday we found this guy named J. He's our barangay captain and now we are teaching him. We are still teaching the R family as well. On Monday we taught them about the restoration of the priesthood and how it blesses families. They loved it.

Tuesday was so-so. We had few appointments so we did lots of finding but had little success. The only guy we taught other than our appointments was a guy who has no job. He just sits at home and reads and drinks. All the other religions are teaching him too so we thought we'd jump in as well. He got up halfway through our lesson and went inside and took a shot and then came back out and sat down.

On Wednesday we had our Zone Leaders Conference. Before hand, we went to the palengke and I got some souvenirs - some really good ones. I'll decide whether to bring them or send them home. One thing I might do is what's called a balik bayan box. The pinoys that send stuff home from other countries send it or bring it in these huge boxes that are all taped up.

Zone Leaders Conference was sweet. It was all on chapter 9 of Preach My Gospel. For practice we went out and did an hour of finding. We taught the ex-mayor of Laoag. He was so nice. He said that the first vision is "spectacular". Conference training was sweet. President told us that there has been a 300% worldwide increase in missionaries. Don't how that works but still pretty cool. He said that they are going to put 4 missionaries in every unit but they will not put new missionaries in an unproductive area, so if you want your unit to get better, then you have to get your area doing better and then you can get two more missionaries. That's our goal for Sarrat.

Wednesday night we slept in my old apartment above the office. I had fun with my old companions, Elder K and Elder M. The next morning at about
5:15 the three of us went to M and E's. They were all sleeping and we woke the parents up when we got there. Funny thing is they didn't go back to sleep they all wanted to come and talk with us. They were so excited. It was really nice to see them. We chatted and joked with  M and E and it was just like it was before.

After Zone Leaders Conference, we went home and started to apply what we were trained on. The standard now is 8 new investigators a week. We got 17 this week! We taught a jewelry maker. He was really angry with us at first and very staunchly catholic. We just stayed calm and eventually we were able to teach him. Funny things is he LOVED the apostasy! We are going back.

Saturday we taught an old man who asked us to come over this week. He's the only member who asked us to teach him. He was sooooo nice (way fun too). I asked him how he was able to snag his wife (sounds better in Tagalog) and it was really funny - love at first sight. Then he said he's the lucky one. He asked us if we would help him and his wife get to the temple. They don't seem to have any issues as they are active members. I just don't think any one has ever helped them and they don't know what to do. They may have just fallen through the cracks.

One of our investigators told us she doesn't want us to come over anymore which really took the wind out of our sails. But teaching that guy and his family really made it all better.

On Sunday after church, a bunch of youth and young adults came and asked if they could work with us. That was great! I took the youth and the YSA went with Elder O. We taught Brother K the Plan of Salvation. I tried to get the youth to help me teach but they seemed to know very little about the Plan of Salvation. I think it woke them up to realize how much they suck (in a nice way). Bro. K told the youth that they don't know anything (SLAP!). So after the lesson I taught them. In the lesson I told them about myself and how I had been a bit like them. Then I pumped them up and also told them that if their generation goes away from the church then the church goes extinct from their country and plunges back into apostasy. It woke 'em up.

At one appointment we were teaching at, I mentioned the
Terrestrial Kingdom and how it is compared to the brightness of the moon. The man went on about how scientists say it's cold on the moon but it's still good enough to plant stuff. He told me that they plant bananas on the moon. I really had to control myself and stop from laughing and peeing.

Anyways, things are going really well here. This is the best I have ever felt and also the most progress I have ever seen in myself or my area. We are really building from the ground up and it really helps us improve ourselves too.

So things are good. I miss you guys. Have a great week!
Elder Dustan

No comments:

Post a Comment