Sunday, July 3, 2011

Shipping Out! - Week 9 at the MTC

KUMUSTA!!!   The new mission presidents had their training this past week. There were eight apostles here for that including Elder Holland and Elder Scott and Elder Ballard. We heard from Elder Bednar who gave a fantastic talk about being a "Preach my Gospel" missionary. It was awesome.
We had a Zone Conference and Elder Chadderton and I conducted it. It was about good study habits. It was great (mostly because Brother Welch spoke). I shared some jury duty stories and everyone loved them.  Elder Wong and Elder Partridge succeeded Elder Chadderton & I as the new Zone Leaders (since we are leaving soon).
 I ran into Ben Collins in the cafeteria! He was speed walking past us and Elder Chadderton shouted out jokingly,  "Hey, obey the speed limit buddy". Ben looked back and I called to him and we talked for a while. He is doing well.
These are my flight plans for Monday, July 4th:
I leave Salt Lake at 9:55pm on Delta Airlines, flight 875 and arrive in San Francisco at 10:55pm. I then leave San Francisco at 1:20am July 5th on Cathay Airlines, flight 873. I arrive in Hong Kong at 6:25am, July 6th. Then I leave Hong Kong at 9:10am on Cathay Airlines, flight 901 and arrive in Manila at 11:15am. I am told we then have a 12 hour bus ride on a nasty stick-shift bus up to Laoag. From my district, those going to Laoag are, Elders Thurston & Tucker and Sister Steele and I. Everyone else in the district is going to the Quezon mission which is a huge mission that they just split. An area authority will meet us in Manila. I have been assigned to be the flight leader. Probably because of my vast array of travel knowledge.....no that can't be it!
 I did pick up my phone card three weeks ago. I'll call home at one of the airports. It looks like it will be a late night call for you - hope to talk to the whole family.
Finally heading to the Philippines! It's very exciting but I am nervous. I feel I'm not nearly advanced enough in the language to get by. I can talk about the Church in Tagalog but not comfortable with general conversations yet. Was that the way you felt Pa, or maybe a french mission is different? Hopefully it's normal not to feel fluent in the language as you leave the MTC.
Tomorrow night we are having fireworks at the MTC for July 4th celebrations but I'm pretending they are for today - HAAAAPPPPPYYYYY CAAANNNNAAADDDAA DAAAAYY. I've said that to everyone today.
That's great to hear about Niall. So glad he's home okay and doing well. I shared one or two of his mission stories you sent me from his home-coming talk in class and devotional review. The district loved it.
 I got my last North American haircut. I leave for the airport Monday night at 6:30 so you can "Dear Elder" me once more before I leave.
We've been practising teaching lesson 2 from "Preach My Gospel" lately and I love it. It's the best lesson. It answers alllll the questions of life and it is so comforting. I gain a stronger testimnoy of it every time I teach it. I have really come to love the gospel more since I've been here. I can't even believe how blessed we are to have it. I can't wait to share it with the people of the Philippines. My teacher, Bro. Malina told us that we will likely need to learn Ilocano in Laoag.  Bro Malina also shared a few things of his mission with us. He said nothing beats hard work and that the harder you work the hotter your future wife gets. it was weird as he's never been anything but a really strict, on-task teacher. He then passed around a picture of his wife and asked "did I work hard mga misyonero, did I?" ....he did.
 Shona, the spiders are bigger than your face there! I saw awesome pictures, and don't worry I'll send you some too. ;) Maybe be careful with any packages I may send you too.....jus' sayin'.
 Good luck Whitney, you'll be an awesome mum and God will guide you through anything you need help with. Say Hi to Ryan for me, I miss that guy and think of him everyday. I love you Ry-Guy! Talk to you soon everyone!!!!!!
Elder Dustan

3 comments:

  1. Hey I am missing harrison to. I hope I get to talk to him when he call to his house.If I dont get to talk to Harrison. I will get to send him a letter to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elder Dustan phoned us from the Salt Lake City and San Francisco airports last night (on his way to the Philippines). It was amazing to speak with him. He is so excited to be out in the mission field. Looks like the long bus ride from Manila to Laoag is actually going to be a plane flight (he was happy about that!!).
    He is very grateful for all the support he is receiving from friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still no update? I'm kind of freaking out here.
    -D. Wride

    ReplyDelete