Thursday, November 24, 2011

Red Neck in the Philippines - Week 29. Serving in Santa Maria

First I'll answer some of your questions: I did not turn my clock ahead or back. I put it on my left hand now instead of my right but that's about the only difference. And if I was supposed to, I don't think I would ever find out because everyone here is late for everything anyways. But for reals, I don't think that they have time
change like that here. I don't know why.....come to think of it, I don't even know why we have it in Canada.
As for the area, it's different than that of the Zone Leaders'. They work here in Narvacan and we work in
Santa Maria. Very different places. Most of the people in central Santa Maria are young girls who go to college......other wise known as college girls I guess (my English is getting worse and worse). So we can't ever teach them because there is never a guy home So we have to go to the outer brgy's which are entirely bukid (rice fields). Typical Philippine province - cement or dirt road and endless rice fields with mountains in the background. One of our appointments is an hours walk!!! We go there on Sunday and my legs are dead afterwards. We would take a trike but they are mahal (expensive) and we wouldn't get one coming back anyways because it's too far.
I'm getting lots of sun though. I wish you could see my tan line on my neck!  This week was pretty frustrating though. I had a lot of issues with the language and I don't know why. A few times it was because I didn't have my language study in the morning as we had meetings instead.  All my issues aside, one of our fellowshippers who had been an AP in the Baguio mission said he knows that my companion will get transferred next transfer and I will become a trainer - a bit of a confidence boost. He said he got it right when he told Elder D that he would be an AP. Well, I didn't have the heart to tell him Elder D is a ZL not an AP.
Anyways, I continue to struggle with the language but it keeps me humble.
We exchanged with the AP's this week. Elder P and Elder C (I love those guys!).
 I saw a bus go by this week with a picture of a cat and mouse fighting on it (they were a cartoon) and written beside them were the words, "Tom and Terrence"!!! Slight copyright infringement? That's gotta be a great cartoon though, like Mortimer the Retarded Rabbit.
I met one guy whose sister and brother live in OTTAWA! He invited us back and I'll see where exactly they live (might have a referral for the sisters!.....they might have to brush up on their Ilokano and Tagalog though!).
  Anyway, that's all for this week. I love you all so much and thank you all for helping me gain a testimony of my own and helping me get here. I treasure my testimony so much. I know this is where I am supposed to be.
Take care of yourselves!
-Elder Dustan

1 comment:

  1. Have him send the phone number to us (the Jakobs). We can visit them in Ottawa with Hazel

    ReplyDelete