Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Tim Tam Slams! - Week 25. Serving in Vintar

Hey  guys! It's been a while, but this week actually went by the fastest so far I think. I usually make a small list of points I want to tell you about in my email on a little post-it in my planner, but I didn't even have time for that this week.
We had interviews with President O this week, a movie night, an exchange and some baptismal interviews in Sarrat. Busy, busy. So here's the low down.
Interviews with the president once again felt like an eternally significant moment. It's so hard to explain but every time it just feels like I am learning things that will benefit me forever. While we were not being interviewed, we hung out with Sis O and she gave us our mail (I think I got a couple Dear Elders from you guys but this week has been so busy, I can't remember!!!).
Also a random tangent - a few times lately I have had weird déja-vues, but more real. I remembered a few dreams I have had and saw that they really ended up happening in real life, and the feeling didn't go away like a usual déja-vu..... Cool but weird.
We had a movie night at D's house - the full Joseph Smith story. It was great. I love that movie. It really bothers me when people don't appreciate what he or any of the early saints did. Also D and R were there and they have both been a little mahia (shy) about sharing the gospel in Vintar. I know it's hard because I wasn't good at it back home but we are really trying to get them to come out of their shells a little - and they have a bit. D went with us when we taught one of her friends, N (we call her Street Nanay because we met her on the street and only ever saw her there and never knew her name). We gave her a  Book of Mormon on the street and she read the whole thing. I know because she told us her favourite part was with the Anti Lehi-Nephis!
R helped us teach his girlfriend's brother. He taught amazing things. R is one of my favourites!
 I got a PACKAGE from T.B. She sent me some Aussie foods, socks, a lot of church stuff that I can give out to kids, and these "milk flavouring straws". They are just normal straws but have little filtery things on each end and inside are little chocolate balls! So I bought some milk - imported stuff from New Zealand that doesn't need to be refrigerated, and tried it.....it's AMAZING. She sent me "Tim Tams" too - it's a chocolate cookie sandwich thing. Sister O told me that they have "Tim Tam Slams" in Australia and New Zealand where you eat the middle of it and drink milk through it. Then later Elder Sm asked me about Tim Tam Slams too! Yesterday an RM from Australia who served here was in our ward and he asked if I'd had one yet. So the talk around here is all about Tim Tam Slams.
I had an exchange again with Elder D. We worked here in Vintar.  He's pretty awesome. His Simpsons quotes are flawless and he has a deep appreciation for Star Wars and how is relates to the gospel..... All that aside, he gave me a lot of good tips and really helped with a few of our investigators.
 We have 4 new baptisms coming up!!!! The family that has been coming to church decided to be baptized! They are all excited for it. They're so great. The tatay is a town counsellor for all of Vintar. I am way excited.
We went all the way to Sarrat on Saturday and had a baptismal interview from the Sisters there. The area is beautiful and I've now been to every area in this district! The interviewee unfortunately didn't show but the sisters made us pancit and HOME MADE ICE CREAM!!! It was soooooo good. The sisters are the best.
I finally finished Deuteronomy! Took forever but I'm done and into Joshua now. I loved how Moses was 120 years old and he was still going strong (there's a sweet verse in the last chapter about it) because he wore his life out in the service of the Lord, and for that, the Lord wouldn't let him wear out. I am just starting to see that here. I'm more tired than I've ever been. My sleep even seems to be tiring because we usually teach in our sleep! Elder Davis woke me up talking in his sleep asking me, "Claro po ba iyan?" ("Is that clear?") and went on to teach another principle in bits and pieces. My back and arms and sides and legs and neck all ache but sometimes it feels like the pain is just gone and like I'm almost floating. It's weird, but I know I'm being helped.
This is the greatest work there is and I love being part of it. I have seen peoples' lives change from complete sorrow to utter joy and have seen it in their faces, eyes and in their countenances. It's a great thing to see.
I love you guys and think about you all the time. Never stop spreading the gospel, even if it's outside of your comfort zone because that's when we grow the most. Take care of yourselves.
-Elder Dustan

No comments:

Post a Comment