Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Like Eating Shoe Leather! - Week 35. Serving in Camalaniugan

This week we went to Laoag for a Zone Leader Conference. It took forever to get a bus. There are no real bus stops. You just wait somewhere on the side of the road and wave a bus down and if it's full, who knows how long it will be till the next one comes. I felt a little sick on the bus and Elders C and D felt realllly sick on the bus.
We finally got to Laoag and then we went to Robinson's Supermarket. That's the place everyone wants to shop at here as it's like a real mall from back home.. kind of.
They don't have shaving cream in Camalaniugan so I got some in Laoag. I was shaving with soap and my face was so sore. Then we went to the mission home and we had training from the AP's and President and Sister O. It was amazing.
At ZL conference we were told that eating cow skin is bawal (off limits). That was embarrassing (when Harrison phoned home for Christmas, he told us he had gotten sick after eating cow skin at a dinner appointment).
After ZLC, we tried to get a bus back and all the seats were taken on the last bus to our area! So we had to go to Claveria and sleep at the ZL apartment there. It was fun. We got to work there and it's a great area. We finally got back home on Thursday afternoon. We were gone 20 hours in all with ZL Conference and travel. Time goes so much slower when you're not working, that's why this week seemed to drag by.
 I taught a newly endowed member and he was telling me about a dream he had in which Christ appeared in his house. It was an amazing dream and he was asking us what we thought it meant. I shared the scripture in Joel that dad showed me:
Joel 2:28 - "And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:"
Then I told him that, as the head of his family, God will give him direction through the Holy Ghost to guide his family. I believe that's what his dream was for as his family is less active and he wants so bad to be sealed to them in the temple! That was a rewarding expeience.
People here are just so much more believeing than back home and I think that's why they are more susceptible to spiritual things.
We almost hit a Carabao (water buffalo) when we were in a jeepny. It was terrifying but once again, preserved by divine intervention!
We did nothing for New Years. We stayed inside from 6pm until morning because lots of people here go a little wild on New Years. We just sat around and told stories.
Thanks for all of your emails. I loved each of them!  I love you and miss you all so much but this is a pretty sweet experience I get to have right now so we'll just have to wait to see each other again.
Take care of yourselves! Love you lots!
-Elder Dustan

No comments:

Post a Comment