Saturday, December 31, 2011

I Just Wanted to Have Some Franks! - Week 34. Last Week in Santa Maria

It was fantastic to talk to all of you - it made my day! I loved every word and it was great to hear your voices too! I felt really homesick for a minute afterwards.
Christmas was great - not eventful but I loved it. I got a present from my companion, Elder C. It was a cookbook as my cooking blows and he always knew it. Much appreciated though.
Okay, now for a review of the week. It was nuts!! Never thought that I would be a ZL and all the way in Cagayan.
On Monday last week, all the elders in the zone came over to the Narvacan apartment and we went out caroling in Santa Maria. It was awesome. When we got back, everyone split up and went to get supper in different restaurants in Narvacan. Me and my comp, Elder C, went to Franks - a little burger and hotdog stand that is usually quick and cheap. Good 'ol Franks.
 As we sat and waited for our food to be cooked, some drunk guy sat down and started talking to Elder C. While we waited, Elder I and Elder M (ZL's) showed up. Elder I stood behind us and Elder M was on the other side of the stand. Then the drunk guy started being a bit of a tool, asking Elder I if he was from Afghanistan and why he's so fat etc. Elder I got angry but didn't say anything - just glared at him. There were several other friends of the drunk guy there too and they were all taking interest in what was happening.
Elder C and I realized it was time to leave so we pushed Elder I away from them. Then all the guys at the stand surrounded us and it was me and Elder C between them and Elder I. Elder M was still in the back.
Then one guy started slapping Elder I's face with his hand and a towel! He got so mad and was about to hit them when I saw a pistol come out and point at him. I told them all that we were going to go home and that we didn't want any trouble- but they were all riled up. There were around 12-14 of them.
We edged our way out and I grabbed Elder M's arm and pulled him as he was about to fight. I dragged him away. We got a little way down the street when they started throwing rocks (we got stoned on our mission!!!!). One hit Elder M in the head and he got really mad and started trying to run at them but I grabbed his wrist again and pulled and pulled. Elder C was pulling Elder I too. Then, as we got to our street, they all ran at us and Elder M broke loose and punched one in the face (upper cut) and he collapsed. I remember Elder C screaming, "Elder M, no!!" as the first punch landed. Then another got punched by Elder M but he didn't fall, he went after Elder I instead and Elder I hit him too and then his knees buckled and he fell by a tree. Then they were all around us and one had a swtich blade. I lost track of Elder M as I saw a bunch of people coming at me.
This is the weird part - I had a Samuel the Lamanite moment. There would be one guy that would come at me and be about to punch me and I would get ready to defend myself but it was as if, at the last second, he would get distracted and walk away. I can't quite explain it but that happened six or seven times!
 One guy kept pointing at me and yelling, "Get him!" and then when they started to come at me, it was as if they would almost forget what they were doing and walk away. There were huge pieces of loose concrete being thrown as well, and one about the size of a soccer ball went right past my head. There were lots flying around but none of the rocks would hit me. They also had hot coffee as they had all been getting coffee at Franks and three of them tried to throw coffee on me but it didn't go far. Instead, it drooped out of the cup! Looking back it seems really weird. Then a guy on a motorcycle went kamikaze and ran into Elder I and cut his leg a bit. He swung to punch the driver but missed by inches which was good or the guy may have died!
Then I saw Elder M so I grabbed him and dragged him in the house. Elder C did the same with Elder I. We put the Samoans in the room and locked the front door.
Then the gang of guys went to the front gate of our neighbour and landlady and frightened her. She was almost crying. That made the ZL's even more angry. They left the room and we had to stop them from going back outside again. Then we realized that all the other elders were still out in town somewhere buying food. So we all decided to go back out.
Once we went out, we saw that the police were down the street and the drunk guys were somewhere else shouting. We saw two of the elders coming and yelled for them to get in the house. They were freaked. Then the policemen (volunteers only) came over to us and told us to go inside so we asked them to get the other Elders. We went inside and waited a bit and then elders started filtering in.
Once everyone was in, we (my comp and I and the ZL's) met on the roof and talked about what was going to happen. The SWAT team then showed up and wanted to talk to us. We chatted with this nice guy holding a huge automatic weapon (freaky). He said that they (the drunk fools) were known for this kind of thing (we were told later that they were the "Narvacan Murderers" but they must really suck at it because once stuff happened, the gun disappeared).
The ZL's went to the police station and then to the hospital for a bit. Then they called the mission president and he suggested we give them Preisthood blessings so we did. I thought the area was going to be closed but it wasn't.
 I thought the ZL's did well restraining themselves from fighting for the most part and when they did, they only ended up fighting in self defense.
 Later, Elder C asked me if I regretted anything I did that night. I thought about it and said no. He said he didn't either. Neither of us threw a single punch. The fact that I was guided by the spirit to act as a missionary was a sweet feeling. It still is. And if I had started punching people, I wouldn't have had a Samuel the Lamanite moment. Elder C said the same thing happened to him.
 It is such a sweet experience and testimony builder to see the hand of the Lord in protecting me. I can never thank him enough (so you guys will have to help me).
 The reason the ZL's were singled out by that gang was because they were Samoan. But they were men of Christ first and Samoans second. I realized that in my life, I sometimes forget that too (not the Samoan part though, as I am a Samoan like 50th or something) but I mean I need to be a missionary before all else.
It's the same for everyone - a representative of Christ first, above all else. A mother before all else, a father etc.
Anyways, during all of this, people asked us a few times what was going on and every time, my response was, "I just wanted to have some Franks!"
Anyways, I am safe. The Lord is watching over me at all times. I know that for a fact and as long as I do what I should, that's the way it will be. Thanks for all the love and support you guys all provide me. I love each of you so much.
On a side note, can someone send me an easy recipe for rice pudding? I can't believe people here don't eat it! "Rice Central" and no pudding to go with my rice!
So that's all for now - I gotta bounce! I can't wait to hear from you again. Do your best to live worthily of the blessings and protection God wants to give you. He always delivers.
Love you!!
-Elder Dustan

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, I had two Tongan DL's who were pretty hot tempered but nothing like this happened. Glad everything worked out ok.

    ReplyDelete