Tuesday, June 12, 2012

"The Office" (Season One) - Week 57. Serving in Laoag


As I mentioned last week, Monday we moved to Lal-lo. It's the area right next to ours where there were fours sisters. We were both way excited because it was going to be like the Vintar days where we were starting from scratch just doing straight work, a full 40 hour week. Two sisters went to Camalaniugan and two went to Ilocos. We cleaned our apartment in Camalaniugan reallllly well as we knew sisters would be living there. The Lal-lo apartment is very nice. The mayor of Lal-lo used to live there. We were excited to have an oven and be able to cook casseroles and stuff. Until our apartment was set up, we ate at a restaurant down the street because it was always open and so cheap (30 pesos a person, or less than a buck!).

We found a spider under the sink that was epic.  I wish I had taken a picture. The spiders here are big and so are the roaches, they are huge. But we found this one big spider that was eating a huge cockroach with no struggle at all - no web, it just chased it down and ate it like a common predator. It was way cool. Luckily, it was still intimidated by the broom and I swept it out of the apartment.

I think it was revelation that put Elder S and I together again this last transfer as we get along really well and just always have crazy adventures.

 Elder C, one of the assistants, came up with President and Sister O as they were doing interviews in that area. Elder C stayed with us on Wednesday and Thursday night while President and Sister O stayed in the only hotel in the area. They were very impressed with our work. They showed up on Thursday night with a brand new microwave, a rice cooker and all new dishes! So kind of them.

Lal-lo will now be the zone leaders' apartment.  But then on Sunday I found out that I had to pack again as I was getting transferred on Monday to the office! I was soooooo not happy. Of all the places in the mission, this was the last place I thought I'd be. I have come to love the bathing out of a bucket and not using toilet paper and riding on jeepneys and sketchy trikes and walking through jungle. I'm very serious, I love those things. I didn't come on a mission to have the same comforts as I had back home. I love the adventure and I know that in the office you only get 3 hours of proselyting a day. So I was upset when I heard that I was coming here. Sister O heard I was not happy about being transferred and cheered me up a bit. We had an office meeting and she explained why this place is so important. She said she has seen how an effective office in the mission makes the difference and really helps the mission president and his wife. With a new mission president coming in soon, we need to be extra worthy, extra diligent and extra humble.

My companion is Elder M. I was his ZL in the MTC as he was in the batch after me. I also live with Elder T, my old companion who was transferred here not long ago and Elder P also got transferred here so I'll be with some great missionaries.

My duties will be over travel and the president's personal aid. After this transfer, President and Sister O go home so I guess we really have to get things in good order. I will continue missing the crazy life outside of the mission home but I now see why I need to be here and why it's important.

 Anyways, I am still a little bummed that I am in air-conditioning and back to using toilet paper again but I am happy to serve and I am really close to the mail now as I sit feet away from it!
 I love you guys lots!
Elder Dustan


1 comment: