Monday, October 15, 2012

RiGht yOr MiShoNaRy in the PhiloPiNe - WeEk 73. sErVInG In LAwOGg


I'm emailing a little late today as we had a driving safety training meeting earlier. Those are supposed to happen every 6 months. This week has been pretty good - some good lessons, a few unique experiences and a good zone conference.

M and E are doing well too. They came with us last Saturday and taught the A family with us. It was pretty good too. On Saturday I felt sick when I woke up and ended up resting a bit and not eating. It sucked. Elder T got sick too and then the other Elder T did as well so I think it was from something we ate. We only got to work for about 2 hours on Saturday but got to teach S again (third time this week! Usually she goes home to Dingras for the week and we only get to teach her once).


The stake president and his wife called all the missionaries into his office on Sunday and fed us some snacks and chatted for a bit. He's a nice guy. He has driven all across the states and used to work in California. Really nice man... just loves to talk about cars, which really bores me. Elder M loves it though. Only on a mission could I have learned to really love a companion who takes pride in being a redneck, loves cars more than life, and relates everything he hears to a country song. It's amazing how great we get along!

Our assistant ward mission leader worked with us after church. We got punted everywhere but he was all smiles even though we walked all over the place and it was incredibly hot out. We ended up at Tatay P's house and he was sooooo excited to chat with the assistant WLM who is an Ilocano. He served his mission in
Hawaii. Dang it, I can't concentrate right now! Elder M has decided to listen to J. Golden Kimball nice and loud, I can't even hear myself think!

Anyways, P gave us a referral this week. Problem was he couldn't remember the husband's last name or the wife's first name and they don't have the same last name. So we are now going to look for a man named J and a woman named Mrs. G. All we know about him is that he is a butcher. So we are going to his barangay and ask for "J the Butcher". Sounds like "The Man Who Knew Too Little".... or even "Fiddler on the Roof".

We've been punted quite a bit this week and haven't had any success in finding. It's tough when you only work late at night. Anyone we meet tells us that it's late and that we can come back but it needs to be earlier.... but we can only come back at the same time.

The mail just came in (that’s twice this week!) and there was a letter with no missionary name on it. All it had on it was a first name and “
Kingston”. So I opened it and it said this:
"Dear Elder Harrison,
My NaMe is A, I'M 11 year olD. I now your SiSter. She is are primary LeaDer. ToDay in PRIMARY we aRe RiGhting LetteR to The MiShoNaRy's. I Choose To RIGHt you Because YOUR NaMe is SUPER close to Mine (awesome picture of the Book of Mormon).
I Hope you LiKe this LetteR.
FRom
A. H.
PS- I Have an aNt FroM The PhiloPiNe

That made my day, what a flippin' sweet letter. Now that I look again, I see the address says, "Kingston Branch Primary".  I'll try to write the little wiener back.

Elder Nielson of the Seventy came and did our zone conference. His wife spoke about getting along with your companions and about her family. It was so good... only we all felt homesick afterwards because of the way she talked about certain things her family does and how they get along, but it was a great talk. Then Elder Nielson talked and it was sweet. There was a question and answer period where we could ask anything at all. I didn't ask any questions - I didn't think I had any to ask, but then as he shared things, most of what he shared answered questions I forgot I had about certain scriptures! He really simplified everything so well and got us all hyped up to get out and work.

He talked about revelation and we read 1 Nephi 11-13, part of 15 and 2 Nephi 31. I wrote down a bunch of stuff in my notes about scriptures that he explained. I'll share them when I get home. Then he came to the office and met each of us and checked our apartment (which was spotless). It was a good experience to meet him.

There was a crazy thunder storm that rolled in yesterday and scared the heck out of us again while we were walking. I never realized how terrifying lighting is until I came to the
Philippines!

Anyways, that's pretty much our week. I am doing really well and having a great time. Sometimes it hits me that I only have 7 months left and it freaks me out. I just booked and finalized the travel plans for the sisters from my incoming batch - crazy! If I am here for two more transfers, I will be booking my own flight home!
I miss you guys lots and love you more.
-Elder Dustan




No comments:

Post a Comment