Monday, March 11, 2013

Jesus Must Have Been Tired - Week 96. Serving in Sarrat


Hey guys. Not too much to tell you this week. We just went to work. We're really happy with our work this week too. We have four new people we are working towards baptism with. On Monday we went to teach one of our baptismal candidates. His whole family was being prepared but then his wife got pregnant and is quite sick so she can't come out and listen anymore because she’s too sick. So we are just teaching her husband now. He didn't go to church last week and that was all that was stopping him from being baptized as he is really ready other than that. He also lives a minute away from the church.

We didn't want to teach about Sabbath day observance the day after he didn't go to church because we didn't want him to think we were chastising him. When we got to his house, Elder O started the lesson and then the thought came to my mind,” You should teach about the Sabbath day" and I got that feeling you get in a testimony meeting when you know there's something you should get up and say and you get anxious and your heart beats fast. But before this, we had really decided on not teaching that principle at that time. I didn't want to interrupt Elder O, but still it bothered me and I knew that we were to teach about the Sabbath day. Elder O continued on with the lesson, and then just as I was about to speak up, he paused and said, "Actually, we are going to talk about the Sabbath day." So cool how the spirit told us the exact same thing, yet before the lesson we were both set on not teaching it. It was one of the best lessons I have ever taught too. We felt really good after that one.

I went on exchange in Piddig this week. I remember going there on exchange back when I was in Vintar and hating it. I felt claustrophobic there and felt like the people didn't care. This time I was with Elder M (I was with his brother in the MRC). It was my best exchange yet and I left thinking, "How can I make Sarrat more like Piddig?"

 Elder M goes home on Tuesday as he is done his mission. His goal before he leaves was to get into this HUGE house in Piddig - a mansion that overlooks the valley and the river. The gate was open so we went in. We spoke English to the people there and they let us in and we met the owner. He is a businessman who lives in
Las Vegas but was born in Piddig. He said all his associates and doctors and lawyers are Mormon. Then he told us to teach the people who lived on his compound (he was going out) so we did and taught a really cool family the whole message of the Restoration. It was one of the best lessons I ever taught. I will always remember these people. They were so attentive and were so amazed that we gave them something they can analyze to know if what we are teaching is true.

It was a great week of work. Then Sunday, most of the branch wasn't at church. We had branch conference and there was a lot of people but only because of all the stake leaders that were there.  Sunday school was full but we only had eight members there - actually that includes investigators. So we were a little disappointed (and that guy we taught sabbath day observance to and then reviewed it with him throughout the week, and committed him to church attendance like 5 times... didn't go again). So yeah, we are loving our work and getting a lot done and then not seeing many fruits of our labours as of yet. It's exhausting. It's more tiring when you give everything you got to people and then get little response in return. Jesus Christ must have been tired. But we are happy and still feel good about our work. We have at least 6 more weeks here as neither of us was transferred. Our plan this transfer, since we worked like crazy last transfer, is to go balls crazy with the work this transfer and get some FRUIT.

Anyways, I am learning a lot here. Learning how to deal with people, how to love them, how to keep a relationship going, how to go long periods of time without water (our apartment runs out of water often), how to cook sweet food, how to feel and follow the spirit always - lots of stuff. Too bad I only have two more transfers. This is Elder S's (my trainer) last transfer!!! Weird.

Anyways, thanks for your emails guys. I love you lots!! Hope you have a great week.
Elder Dustan

No comments:

Post a Comment