Monday, September 5, 2011

How to Slay Goliath - Week17. Serving in Vintar

Hey guys, I'll give you the low-down for this week.  Let me tell you about M. He's the town crazy. I met him near the municipial building and he speaks fluent English.  He seemed a little normal at first and asked about the church but then said he knew about it because there was one beside the prison he was in in Manila... for murder! True or not? - I don't know. He also asked if I could hear the satellites. He's really scrawny so he's not intimidating. Anyways, we went by his house one time and he invited us in. We figured, hey, we'll give him a Word of Wisdom pamphlet. He went to make us drinks even though we told him plainly that he shouldn't as we weren't thirsty. I was worried that the water he would use was "malabo" but he persisted and was really pushy for us to drink. I did the old fake drink with closed lips and said "mmmmmm!" like playing with a child (and he didn't notice that the cup was mysteriously as full as before). Elder Soriano drank a sip and we left after he became a little crazier with us. Then Elder Soriano said he felt weird and started making strange comments and had to sit down. So I'm pretty sure there was something in the drink. He was fine later and told me he tasted it to see if it would be all right for me.
This week the Calaramo's had a party for the anniversary of his father's death. Everyone came. M shows up and tells me he has a plane....a 300 seater and it was almost 1 billion dollars. I wanted to say, "You paid that much? I got mine for only 10 grand!". He was really drunk and we don't like him knowing where we live. Then at night we heard some weird noises. We thought it was him but turns out we have a big rat living in our ceiling. I won't say how big the rats are here for Mum's sake.
 We had a Typhoon this week. On Thursday it started to pour. It didn't stop until.....well, this morning (Sunday). Crazy wind and the loudest thunder I've ever heard. I went out to toss some rice from the bottom of the pot and a bolt of lightning hit the field right across the road and all my hair stood up. I thought I was going to die it was so loud.
My payong (umbrella) got destroyed - the wind bent it and tied two of the prongs in a knot! There was also some flooding. Apparently there are Public Signals for a typhoon. We had a signal 2 and it was the craziest storm I've ever been in. (Apparently in the east in Kagayan, it was a signal 4!) The river bed that was mostly rocks and grass before is now up the last foot of the dyke before it floods over but it's okay now as it has stopped. Apparently we have another one coming on Thursday.  Last night Sister Odgers told us to go out in our p-day clothes and look for people to help. Typhoons are wild. Once it becomes a signal three you have to stay in.
I've been wet for 4 days! My shoes didn't dry (my water proof ones only got wet because I had to take them off for a lesson at someone's house and left them outside. My other ones got moldy. I'm wearing my Crocs now. I don't like Crocs much but they're really useful.
 We've had a problem with ants lately as they come inside when there's a storm. They got into a meal Sister Calaramo made for us (they usually feed us once a week, but they fed us 3 times this past week!). It was such a good meal that we ate it anyways - ants and all, "..and you're gonna love how they tickle!" (quote from The Jungle Book).
There's a part-member family in Laoag 4th ward that has two kids. One of the parents wanted to name one Nephi but then the non-member parent said, "Then I get to name the next one." So there are two little boys at church named Nephi and Ginbeer. I kid you not. We also have a guy named Eric Fancy Pigeon. As you know, the Thatchers and the Smiths are named after the family trade. The Fancy Pigeons raise fancy pigeons. A noble trade I must say.
 I got another letter from Tracy B. She said she'd write me every month and I'm very grateful, They're very uplifting letters. I"m sending a reply within the next couple of days.
 J, the town drunk, has been sober for a while and came to church on Sunday - and in the Typhoon! He also wants to work with us today. He's awesome! Fifty people came to church and I loved how diligent they are. No matter where you go in the world, no matter what is happening, there will always be a group of Latter Day Saints doing their part to build the Kingdom and worship our Saviour. It was heart warming.
Rozelle also decided to be baptized. She cried because her mum wouldn't let us teach her at first and she cried (for joy) when she heard Demma is getting baptized.
I've learned that everyone has their problem - like Demma, with work. She thought she had to choose between a pension or baptism, but she fasted and prayed and her boss's heart was softened. Everyone's got their issue, their Goliath, but through small and simple means like prayer and fasting, reading the Book of Mormon and pagsisimba (going to church), the Goliath will fall because the gospel won't be stopped. Amazing eh?
Lastly, I have a meal for you guys to make. You take a container of cream and mix it with some sweet-n-sour mix (like Mama Sitas - do they have that at home?) the powdered stuff. You cook some chicken in onions and garlic and add the mixed cream and powder. Then you add a can of pineapples (the tidbits are best) and some of the juice too, and then eat it over a lot of white rice (not seasoned). Its sooooo good. They call it orange or yellow chicken, depending on who you talk to. I call it school bus chicken because I can never remember if a school bus is orange or yellow.
 I love all of you and think of you  everyday as much as you think of me. Chances are, if you're thinking of me, I am thinking of you - sleep or not. Take care of yourselves please. And put forth your best missionary effort. We need a temple in Ottawa! Say hi to everyone because, chances are, if I was home, I'd give them a hug - everyone at church, work, school and Ryan......good 'ol Ryan. Love you lots guys!
-Elder Dustan
INGAT

No comments:

Post a Comment