Friday, December 9, 2011

Christmas Onions Are the Sweetest to Cut - Week 31. Serving in Santa Maria


We had our Christmas Zone Conference on Monday and Tuesday. The trip to the mission home takes three to four hours but so worth it! We took a Partas bus (which I think I said before, is Ilocano for fast) and they are crazy! They fly around corners and there is no way at all to be comfortable on them. It's nice that they have air conditioning but I feel the whole time like I'm going to die! The nasty thing is, I think we hit something on the way back.  We swerved all over the road and heard a huge thump and then the driver got control again and it was fine. I'm pretty sure there were angels on either side of the bus holding it up though so don't worry. ZONE CONFERENCE!!! It's the bomb! We got there and just sat in the mission home doing nothing and just that would have been worth the trip! I love that place. Some elders even come back and honeymoon there!!! (Kind of weird but it's realllly nice).
Then we had training with the President and he introduced to us the new direction of missionary work in the Philippines - every mission here! It's  called, "Dressed in White Twice" and is all about seeking "real growth".
We are not going to go door to door anymore.....or fence to fence.....or shack to shack. No more tracting is the point I'm trying to get at. We are still encouraged to talk to everyone but our real focus is less actives. They showed us the stats on membership in the Philippines and it was really sad. Most baptisms don't lead to priesthood ordinations or endowments or missions. So we are now teaching mostly less actives (starting today) and seeking real growth. They explained it like this: picture a tree - the branches and leaves are members or baptisms and the trunk is the priesthood. If the branches get too big and there's not enough trunk to support it, then the tree can't last ("..and it grieveth me that I should lose this tree."). So we are trying to strengthen the members that we already have. I'm really excited about it too.
Then we carolled around Laoag and San Nicholas for an hour and a half and gave candy to little kids! It was soooo much fun and my voice was dead by the end of the night. Weird thing is that, here they do carolling but always for money and they don't go away until you pay them. They seriously sing loud and terribly until you get sick of it and pay them. We had carollers come to our apartment. I ended up giving out stickers and candy and told them we had no money. They were all kids so that worked. So when we told people that we didn't want their money they were so surprised and happy! Great experience.
 I had lots of fun with the other missionaries too. We sang White Christmas together just like back home. I also talked with Elder Y a lot too (one armed elder). He's so funny - always happy, never ever heard anything negative come from his lips.  He had to go home for a while because he tore all of the muscles in his good arm.....which happens to be his only one too. Imagine how much that would suck. Just not being able to do anything. He showed me how to put a watch on with your tongue and how to tie a tie with your foot and one arm! Way cool, but way beyond my skills!
 Also had lots of fun with some of the Samoan elders. They taught us how to do the Haka! It's crazy. They performed it for Sister O too and she loved it (she's part Maori and loves islanders and everything about them). I'll try to remember the Haka and I'll do it for you when I get home. It's scary though. Elder F was the scariest doing it as he looked so deadly and he's usually so quiet. Our skit went well too.
 Sister O shared a great idea with all of us. She gave us each a nice little card to write down something we would give Christ for Christmas (because for some reason, on HIS birthday WE get gifts). It was a great
idea. I got some really good insight on myself and how to improve. I would suggest you all do the same - think of one thing you can give our Saviour for His birthday.
Then she gave us each a little stocking with goodies in it and they each were hand made and had a little Elder made of felt on it. President O told us that members in Las Vegas made them, and then older members from Utah all collected money and bought us chocolates (Russell Stover yo!). I almost cried when he told me that (I mean, I was just cutting onions when he told me that...). There is just so much selfless service and kindness in the world and being on the receiving end is almost overwhelming.
  I feel the same way with the Atonement sometimes - unworthy of how kind and loving my Saviour is. I realized that I often focus on what I am not good at and ways in which I am inadequate (there are many). I then realized that that is really not good at all. Before this life I sustained my Saviour and now that I am here, I know that He sustains me in what I am doing. I know that He has full trust in me and loves me more than I know. I learned I should focus on the things I am good at and realize that it all comes from His help and love. I am nothing without Him. I know that's true. I know that as long as I look to Him for help, He will help me do ANYTHING I need to. It's an amazing thing. I know that Christ sustains each of you too. Don't forget to look to Him for help.
 I found out yesterday that my converts in Vintar are not at church anymore except for D and it broke my heart. They have their own branch there now though. I will be writing them soon. My work doesn't stop at the gates of baptism. It goes until they are safely in the covenants of the temple and even after that.
I am so glad I have each of you to be a good example for me and that you each saw me through until I was safely in the promises of the temple. I love you all and pray for you. Thanks for being the pinkabest (aka: bestest).
That's all I've got for now as we only have two hours of p-day today and I still need to shop. I love you!!!!!!
-Elder Dustan

No comments:

Post a Comment