Friday, December 30, 2011

Oh, That I Had the Voice of a Samoan! - Week 33. Serving in Santa Maria

So in answer to a few of your questions: yes, we are still in the Narvacan apartment as the one in Santa Maria is too small apparently! I will be calling from a cellphone but I don't know the number yet. I CAN tell you that it will be my own cellphone. It's transfer list day and I just learned I will be transferred to Camalaniugan tomorrow at 6am! I will be a zone leader. Terrifying right? I had a hard enough time trying to get my head around being a DL!
 I will have a phone to call you on. I got the calling code from Mum and will call at around 6am our time on the 26th. That way it's 5pm your time on Christmas day.
Anyways, I am healthy, still filtering my water, eating really well and working out daily.
We slept outside the other day as there were typhoon winds (no rain and the winds weren't dangerous - just the type of wind you have to lean into if you're walking) and it was nice and breezy. But in the morning, the winds stopped and I got eaten alive by mosquitoes!!!!
We have been fine for weather - no floods or even rain really. Rainy season is done here. Summer is coming. It's going to get "hot" here (I thought it was already hot!!).
 I exchanged with Elder M and it was fun. He's flippin' hilarious! All kinds of jokes and stories and just chats people up and they open right up to him! He and his companion (ZL's) met some guy at a music fireside. They were singing in their awesome Samoan voices. He made an unkind comment of some sort. So the ZL's said that Samoans are the best singers in the world (honestly a fair statement - they sing beautifully even when they are just doing laundry). They were ridiculed for saying so but I was impressed with Elder M. He didn't fight back. He held his peace even though he was prodded on a few times. It was a strong testimony to me of how big changes are wrought on a mission! It's unbelievable. I don't see it as much in myself but if I could step outside of myself I would see it better. I notice it with all the other Elders - hearing what they were like before and seeing how they are now. It's amazing.
This week has just been another testament of our actions and the effect they have on others. All we have to do is analyze our thoughts a bit more before they turn to actions. Like David (when he was younger) in 1Samuel 18 - it mentions a few times how he behaved wisely and strangly enough, the Lord favoured him for it as well as the people! I have been trying to do this better. I really need to think more before I speak.
 I wish I had more time but I have to print off some stuff for tomorrow as I have to help with transfers! My new comp is Elder Cawley, my trainer's trainer! I will also be in the same apartment as Elder Thurston (from my MTC group) who will be my DL!!!! Cool eh?
 I ate custard yesterday (from the package you sent). It was masa-freaking-rap!!! Thanks! I will be eating haggis and peas and potatoes and more custard this Sunday for Christmas! I'll open my can of snow too!
I love you guys so much. Thanks for all you do. I loved each of your emails too. Everything you say is treasured like you don't even know. Got a Dear Elder from DW too and it was the bomb dot com! Got a postcard from TB and it was great.
I will be talking to you all in a week  Take care of yourselves!!!!!!!!!!!
-Elder Dustan
ps-Jamon, instoflopsta! Don't stop till you get enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment