Thursday, September 6, 2012

Beachy Clean! - Week 67. Serving in Laoag


Hey guys! Lets start with last week. I forgot to tell you that last Thursday we took E and M to the beach at Fort Ilocandia (where we played rugby before) to do service. Here in the Philippines, an investigator has to do one service project before they are baptised. We took the long walk to the beach (30 minutes one way). Once we got there we cleaned for about an hour and a half (until the sun set) and looked back down the beach and it was all clean. It was a really great experience. The waves in the South China sea were nuts though. I would hate to see it when there's a storm! (actually I would love to see it, but I won't go there in a storm don't worry).

We met a member from Batac and he was so surprised that I am from Canada and Elder M from America and that we can speak and understand each other! For someone who grew up in the Philippines where there is a new language practically every 10km, he can't grasp that two different countries can speak the same language. He was convinced that we speak different classes of English.

We are still trying to get M and E ready for baptism. Last night we had a bit of a question period with them and I couldn't believe how much they know! We asked M why Jesus Christ came to earth and he said,  "Well there are a few reasons. First, to set an example for us that we could follow to get back to heaven. Also to atone for our sins.", and he went on and on. He even had a fever and he still came out to listen. E sent us a text this morning with a little spiritual thought. They are so cool.

 We met a white lady at Pancho's water station (she was buying water jugs). She said, "Can I ask you boys a question?"
I said yes and she asked, "When you die, are you going to heaven?"
We all answered yes and she asked how. We all said that we are doing what Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ want us to do. She said, "Well a lot of people are gonna say that darlin'".
Then she said, " Let me tell you something. It's not about the Book of Mormon. It's not about your good works. It's all about the BIBLE and Jesus dying on the cross. Now you remember that!"
I told her she should at least try and read the Book of Mormon but she wouldn't even listen and she walked away.
 
Right after that we went and talked to two young men about the Book of Mormon and how it teaches of Jesus Christ and how we need to do good works like He did and we will be blessed. It felt so good. I think Elder S really got a boost from that. He had wanted to serve in an English mission and after he met her he realized what an English mission could be like. He also felt a new desire to teach which I could see just by looking at him.

Anyways, I have to get going. I love you all tons. I miss you guys - can't wait to hear from you all next week.
Elder Dustan

No comments:

Post a Comment