Thursday, September 6, 2012

Tao Po!! - Week 66. Serving in Laoag


Hey family. This week was great. All kinds of stuff happened. First off, to answer some of your questions: yes I do know my departure date... in fact I know everyone's departure date in the whole mission, right up to the end of2014! I send all travel requests to Salt Lake (or a local office for native missionaries and Pacific islanders etc.) and they send me a proposed itinerary. I tell them if it will work or if it needs to be changed and how. If I am in the office this next transfer I think I will probably end up doing my own travel request... maybe I'll see how many countries I can see on the way home (go to Canada via Scotland and Guam)!
 And as for my camera, I have plenty of room for pictures. I bought a 16GB usb for storing my pictures and then I bought another one for backing them up. And guess what, it was all under 20 bucks!!! They are good quality too.

Okay, so back to my week. We taught P last Friday. He feels he needs to build a childrens hospital. It's his dream. Not that we are going to give him business advice but we want to make sure he balances his "dream," of building a hospital without losing track of providing appropriately for his family. That was a lesson I had never taught before: "How to build a childrens hospital".....random.

On Saturday I woke up at 5:30 on my top bunk, face to face with a huge Tongan man. He said, " You commin' wif me Elda. We goin' to Candon today." So I went to the Candon district's leadership training meeting (which was held in Narvacan chapel...it's been a while). We ate at Narvacan mall at Reby's where we used to eat and they all remembered me which felt good.

 Our investigators, E & M came to church on Sunday, as well as some of our less actives. E seemed sad. In sacrament meeting I sat with her and tried to cheer her up. I got her to smile and then I felt I could ask her what was up. She said, "It was a month ago today that my tatay died."  I showed her the scripture in the Doctrine + Covenants, section 137. I explained what it was about and we read it together. She was fine after that and was her usual self - all smiley and full of jokes and quick remarks.

That afternoon we took the sacrament again to Tatay P. We decided to sit and talk with him a little more than we usually do. He asked all kinds of questions. I think he's had a few of them for a long time but was frustrated as he can't see well so he can't read to find the answers. We sat and answered some of them and then we gave him the sacrament. He is so cool. He treats our little make-shift sacrament meeting like it's the most sacred experience in the whole world.

On Tuesday we had the first office meeting with our new president. All washing machines are now bawal in the mission with the exception of the mission home and mission office. There are three or four apartments that have washing machines and one even has a dryer. We have been instructed to go to those apartments and remove them. I can tell that we are not going to be very popular among a few missionaries.

On Tuesday, when we taught M & E. He asked, "Elder, how do I repent and humble myself before the Lord?". Well, let me tell you - that is the best question I have ever been asked.

P texted us on Wednesday night saying he took his wife to the hospital and that she should be out in a few days. We sent a reply to the effect of, "Oh no! That's no good. Is she ok? We will be praying for her. Is there anything else we can do to help? Any news from the doctors? Take care of her." Then we got a text back saying, "She read your text and she wants to get baptized when she is better."
That is a big deal because she has never said anything like that to us before. Of course, we will still make sure she is ready before she actually gets baptized, but that really made our night.

We went to teach our recent convert, T this week. We often teach him and his wife. We got there and tao po'd for a little bit (that's where you stand at the door and shout "Tao po!" until they come out to see who's at the door. It translates to "people here"). When he came to the door he looked tired. He invited us in and sat down and straight away he said, "Elders, can we talk? I have a problem." He is a very kind and humble man. Anyways, we listened to his concerns about his job and then we gave him a priesthood blessing and we gave him some advice on getting answers. We told him to counsel with the Lord as well as with his wife. So this week I felt like we were of use to the Lord and that is a great feeling.

 I am still very much enjoying my mission. I never enjoyed teaching this much before. Good ol' "being in the middle".
Anyways, I love you guys tons and miss you heaps. If you ever see Alfie (Daniel Alfredsson - captain of the Ottawa Senators NHL hockey team) tell him he has at least two fans in the northern Philippines - me and this random guy in Camalaniugan with a senators hat who would bike by the apartment.
. Ingat
-Elder Dustan

No comments:

Post a Comment