Thursday, September 6, 2012

"Ol' (Elder) Blue Eyes" - Week 68. Serving in Laoag


Bit of a different week for me this week, so let's get started. We went on exchange with the zone leaders last Saturday. E and M's baptismal interview was then as well. I went to work in San Nicolas 1 area (the zone leaders' area) with Elder S (New Zealander) and the other Elder S (other member of our threesome companionship). Elder M got to stay in our area. Elder C worked with him and did the interview.

It started pouring when we went out to work and we were all soaked pretty quickly (I don't even bother with a payong anymore as you still get wet when the rain is that strong). San Nicolas is to Laoag as Kanata is to Ottawa. But the city planning here is a little different so when it rains like that, the city floods. The whole night we walked through flooded streets with water just under our knees. It was awesome. It was so nice to be out of the office. We taught some really nice people and got to teach with the bishop. We taught some recent converts - a young girl and an old man. They are both really nice people. The girl couldn't stop staring at us and couldn't get over that I have blue eyes.

We went back to the mission home after exchanges and dried off a little then drove the ZL's back to their apartment. As we drove the Starex through the streets, it made a huge wake in the water and splashed up into peoples houses... felt pretty bad about that. Then we pulled up as close as we could to the gate at their apartment. Elder C got out and climbed along the gate and got in and then Elder S tried to do the same but had to hold himself up against the van as he walked along the gate. Elder M was driving and didn't notice and pulled away - then Elder S fell in the water! It was a good night.

 We taught Tatay P again. He is so nice. He said he feels a little better and he decided to try and go to church on Sunday. We will go over to help him Sunday morning and go with him.

On Monday we taught P and his wife S which was great and then we went out to Gabu which is way far (right by the ocean and where the airport is). We looked for a couple of people out there but they weren't home. We then tracted into this house and talked to the nanay. She was really nice. She invited us in. Her tatay was there. I saw a table with lots of little horns on it. Found out that tatay's business is poison removal! He takes a hollowed cow horn and puts bees wax on the narrow end. Then he puts the big open end over the bite (they use it a lot to heal cobra bites) and with his finger nail makes a slit in the bees wax. Then he sucks on the hole in the wax. The suction makes the blood pool out and takes the poison out with it!!!! How cool is that?

Tuesday we went to the Elders Quorum President's house. He and his wife are very active and great people. They have to take turns coming to church as his mum is very sick. She has gone blind. We got there and they seemed exhausted (they have threes jobs each). We shared a nice message and assured them that God blesses those who serve Him. They asked us to give a blessing to his mum. We sat with her and talked a little. We told her we were missionaries who visit beautiful women so we came to visit her (we clarified who we really were of course but jokes first). She laughed and said, "I'm beautiful am I?"
 We said, "Yes. We are the ones who can see. You're beautiful, take our word for it."
 She had a good sense of humour.  "I'm old." she said, so we used the famous words of a lady we baptized back in Vintar, "Life starts at 70". This Nanay was in good spirits in spite of all her problems. We blessed her and said we would come back to visit again.

I worked with Elder T and Elder S on Wednesday on exchanges and we found some fun people. M asked me to baptize him. I was touched. He and E will be baptized on Saturday - kind of exciting! I'm just scared of them falling away, but I guess that all depends on their choices and on how much I dedicate myself to teaching them.

I love my mission more and more daily. I enjoy every trike ride, every chance I get to teach, every chance I get to speak Tagalog. A mission really helps you live in the moment. Anyways, I am doing well. I love you guys lots!
Elder Dustan

No comments:

Post a Comment