Friday, March 23, 2012

Beards, Straw Hats & Princesses - Week 45. Serving in Camalaniugan

Hey guys! Transfer day today. No worries, I am here with my companion for at least 6 more weeks. President told us he would probably put two more elders into the area again next transfer when the big batch comes in. So chances are we will be here for two transfers or more.
This week was pretty cool. But first I have to ask some advice. In week 4 of this transfer we have zone meetings. We have to make up some games to play while the president is doing interviews. There will likely be about 16 people there so if you can think of any games, please tell us soon. I don't want to do any of the usual ones they do here so I need your help.

 I got your packages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks guys! You are the best. I loved them. Our fridge is FULL of stuff now. We have a little "play station" in the apartment now. We had bought cereal recently and they come with free hot wheels and now we have all the stuff from our packages too! I mean, we'll give it to kids eventually but.....not yet. We also made french toast with some of the cinnamon.
I gave out a couple of the princess rings (I assumed they aren't for me) and I wish you could see the little girls' faces. Soooooo cute! Huge smiles like I just gave them the best present of all time.
 All in all though, the highlight of the package was the decadent cookies. I forgot how amazing they are. Needless to say they are long gone. I am so spoiled.
So on to the rest of the happenings of the week. We taught an old man that I had mentioned before. His wife died way back and every time we teach, he tells us he wants to re-marry. Turns out though, that he thought it was a sin!!! We explained it's not. But I don't know if his motive is good. He said, "I want someone to cook and clean for me."
We had a brown-out last Friday - always on the worst day: weekly planning. It was soooooo hot! I also couldn't shave as we had no water so I went out and worked looking like a hobo. Worst part is we had a fireside that night (we were teaching about why and how to do home and visiting teaching) and I had to get up in front of everyone with a beard.
Now for a couple of stories about our investigators and less actives. We've been working with a family that has been struggling and Tatay never came to church but now he is hooked because of the Book of Mormon! He is like a changed man. He LOVES King Benjamin - rants and raves about the first chapters of Mosiah. He showed up at church yesterday with a nice white shirt on and a huge straw hat, clearly trying his very best to wear his best Sunday clothes. It was touching.
When I was on exchange, we taught one lesson with a less active member who is a returned missionary. I think I might have mentioned him before. I had thought that we may need to be bold with him but I realized, because of promptings, that we should be more kind and understanding. He really opened up. He struggles to find time to read the Book of Mormon. We decided we would go by every day and read with him for a little bit. While we were there I felt prompted to ask to see his mission pictures and he loved it. The spirit is a genius! He is really making some progress. He shares some great insights about the Book of Mormon too.
His daughter is the cutest little thing - little munchkin voice. She's only 8. I gave her a princess ring and it was
pretty much the best experience of her life.
I have been developing a stronger and stronger love for the people we are teaching. At our home teaching fireside we got everyone to practice teaching. Seeing them all do their best was so endearing. The spirit was really strong there.
Anyways, I have to go. I love you guys so much. Thanks for everything you do.
LOVE YOU LOTS.
Elder Dustan

No comments:

Post a Comment