Saturday, March 10, 2012

Hail To The Chief! - Week 42. Serving in Camalaniugan

 Haaaapy family day!
 Zone conference was great. As zone leaders we didn't have to do much but announce the mission business which was pretty much a list of common sense rules and practices that missionaries are supposed to follow. Apparently a surprising amount of doors in the mission are being kicked in because missionaries are locking themselves out - proof that the Church is true or it would have crumbled long ago in the hands of us fine missionaries.
Working with president O was great. We taught a less active family and he gave them a picture of the temple and said that they need to prepare to go there. They were all really excited about it. They are a great family. They have been coming to church for a few weeks now and the tatay got called as Sunday School President.
As a joke I introduced President O as the president of the United States and I guess it was more believeable than I thought, as at the end of the lesson, I asked them if they had any questions or anything they would like to say and one nanay said "I just feel really blessed to have the president in my home, all the way from the United States. We are just so blessed." - Oops!
I don't know how the president does it but he knows exactly what we are teaching and adds upon it perfectly even though he doesn't speak Tagalog. In teaching he speaks English and we don't translate for him but the spirit is there so strongly that they seem to get what he is saying.
The last appointment we had was with a 19 year old who has really wanted to serve a mission since he was 15 when he joined the Church. He is the nicest guy and quite amazing but then his dad pushed him to join the army a while ago.
We discussed it with the president and then talked with him and offered him the opportunity to serve a short-term mission first - right here in the Laoag mission. He kept telling us that his military training is in March so he can't. Then the president told him we would all fast and pray for him and gave him a priesthood blessing and left.
The next day, after zone conference, the president and I went to the chapel to have a correlation meeting and the young guy was there. He told us he couldn't believe it - his training was delayed until December! Sweet. So now he's going to be serving a short-term mission on april 3 and I think that once he gets into missionary life, he will just bail on the army and serve a full time mission.
 Anyways, it was amazing. The president is such a spiritual man and so nice - and fun too! Elder D couldn't believe that I got to go on two exchanges with the president. Last Wednesday we exchanged with him, but for an hour the president and I split off and taught someone while the others taught someone else. Then, after correlation, the two of us and the district president went out to teach for 2 hours. It was a great two days.

We had a baptism on Saturday. It was at 5pm so we went an hour early and discovered that the water was a thick brown colour and that there was only one pair of baptismal clothes. We tried to fix all that and then beat it over to the home of the little girl who was to be baptized. It was pouring rain and we got soaked. We went with them back to the church and the baptism went well. She is so flippin' cute.
It's pretty cold here right now. I am not even using my fan at night anymore and I wear my long sleeved shirt in the house.
 I am so happy I have you guys. Love you lots, and I think about you always.
-Elder Dustan

No comments:

Post a Comment