Wednesday, March 28, 2012

It's a Tough Life For Sisters & Monkeys - Week 46. Serving in Camalaniugan


So another transfer begins! And my companion and I noticed something weird. Next transfer....is our HUMP DAY! That is messed up! Can't believe it.
We got some new elders in this past week. I haven't met any of them yet but I got a text from our DL (a filipino) in the other district when he got back to his area that read,  "We are back in the apartment, gandang hapon (good afternoon) Elder Dustan, and my son is Canadian". Strangely worded but awesome nonetheless. We are going to both District meetings this week as we have a lot of business and it's just nice to do for a new elder's first district meeting.
This past week I just kept thinking about what the new elders were doing and where they were. I also kept thinking and remembering when that was me - my first night in the field, in Vintar, my first lesson. It was really a week of reminiscing. Still can't believe it's almost a year!
 I'll get back to the happenings of the week. Three elders including my trainer, from when I was in Vintar, along with a short term from Ilocos who is back home now and waiting for his real mission call, stayed at our
apartment this past Monday.

On Tuesday there was transfers and we were exhausted! We waited a little at the church for a bus to arrive and I fell asleep on the pew on the stand with a hymnbook for a pillow. Poor Sister A was stuck with a bunch of elders for the whole day as her companion was transferred. She is a really great person and I realized that sometimes I/we as elders have the tendency to be a little insensitive.

After everyone who was transferred got on the bus, we studied together at the chapel. After studies we all shared
a little of what we learned. We all had good stuff but Sister A bore her testimony and talked about what she learned from the past transfer. I was impressed with how she is learning from every experience whereas a lot of elders sometimes learn nothing from a whole transfer! I also thought it was funny in district meeting when she was talking about Sister O coming to inspect their apartment. She likened it to the Second Coming! She was terrified because she felt she wasn't prepared. That was both hilarious and a bit of a wake up call for me. So this week I have been focussing on stuff that is not in order. Our apartment is going to get a huge clean today.

We have been eating well. We have been punctual and dedicated. We also started working out again. It's way fun, and they're really intense work outs too. We make it fun.
We were walking down an old path that runs along the bank of the irrigation canal and we met two old nanays and one of them had a little monkey! It was cute but also freaked me out (monkeys are scary... they didn't even write their own songs!!). It hung from my companion's pant leg and made some strange noises.
She also had a little puppy and it started "playing" with the monkey... it was more like an orca playing with a sea lion. It bit the monkey and tossed it around like a toy and the monkey got angry but didn't seem to get hurt. We suggested to the nanay that she'd better watch that monkey doesn't get eaten. She said, "No, don't worry. They are friends".
On Friday we went on splits with the branch mission leader and members. On Saturday we got punted all day and one less active member went back to her boyfriend who forbids her to go to church.
 Another of our investigators said that she had a dream. She saw Christ and there was darkness on his left side and on his right side was light and snow and white sand and Christ only went on the light side and wouldn't got in the darkness. We talked about that with her.
There have been so many of our investigators and less actives that have had dreams. One less active had a dream that a missionary kept trying to give him his socks and he wouldn't accept it because he had his own socks and the missionary got really sad. Then eventually he realized that the socks the missionary was offering were way better than the ones he had and eventually took off his socks and accepted the ones the elder gave him. That was fun to interpret.
 We fasted yesterday for a number of people in the area who are struggling. One family who is going to be baptized in soon ran out of money for their kids to go to school. They are such good people. They fasted too, so I know they will get help soon.
 I started studying Isaiah - I've read one chapter and it's blowing my mind! After reading yesterday I was literally exhausted so I had to go lay down. It's amazing. I'm getting lots out of the scriptures and loving my mission as always.
 We are going to Laoag tomorrow for Zone Leader Conference and then we have two district meetings on Thursday and then District Leader Conference on Saturday as well as the district leadership correlation. Busy week.
 Love you all lots. Take care of yourselves.
-Elder Dustan

No comments:

Post a Comment