Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Little Corner of the Kingdom - Week 49. Serving in Camalaniugan


Had my first district activity today. We ate lunch at the church and then we played some filipino kids games,
one of which is a mix between cricket, tag, and bowling. It was fun.

General Conference blew my  medyas (socks) right off! I got more out of this one than out of all the previous conferences put together. We had to wake up early Sunday morning to go and round up some investigators that had wanted to come. It was pouring rain and we went over to Bantay (we scream it like a kamikaze pilot) where there is just a dirt/mud path. The dirt in Bantay is reddish. It's a really beautiful place. There, we picked up the young woman I mentioned last week who lived in
Canada and then we got in the branch mission leader's jeepney. He very generously gives free rides and is always punctual. Then we went to pick up the elderly man that we've been teaching. He is the coolest guy.
We waited with a small group of members in the rain for the jeepney to come by and got in and on the way over I felt so impressed with all of them. I looked around and there were only about 12-15 of us, but I felt a strong love for them all and felt like they were all very elect people. They were all showing their faith to go all the way to the district centre in Appari to watch General Conference in a language they don't even understand.

As we drove through the rain to Aparri we stopped periodically at different peoples houses (members and investigators) to see if they were ready to come too. If they weren't, we had to leave them and it was a sad experience. If they were ready, my love for all of the people in the jeepney grew immensly.
 We had listened to a talk by President Eyring the day before conference (a talk from last conference) about his little branch in
Jersey where he was the only deacon. It wasn't a well established branch but it was part of the Kingdom nonetheless. That's how I felt about our little branch here.

I got so much revelation in General Conference - not even things they said exactly but things that came to my mind as they were speaking. I wrote down many questions, ideas, things I need to improve on, etc. It was a really rewarding experience.

Filipinos do really really well at understanding the 'what' - they crave learning. I love them for that. But just like back home, some people just seem to struggle when it comes to understanding the 'why'. I've come to realize that I need to help them do that better.

As I said before, I feel comfortable with my Tagalog. But I now realize that that isn't good enough. I need to do more in my language study as well as personal and companionship study in order to be better equipped to explain the 'why' to those I teach. I figure this week is a great week to make some reforms in my life.

We have interviews with the president this week and will be working with him too, as we have a zone meeting. We have to give a 1 hour practical training (yikes!).
We went on a double exchange with the elders in
Lasam. I felt the spirit very well there. In fact, the only time I don't feel the spirit is due to my own stubborness and failing to accept and trust in the Lord's help, but He can see exactly which path is the one that will bring me pinaka (the most) happiness.

 I had my first experience with the paparazzi in Lasam (it's way out there, so rarely do they see white guys). A man walked up to me with his cellphone and shoved it inches from my face and started following me. I asked someone what he was doing and he told me, "He's just excited to see an 'Americano'."

 Anyways, it was a pretty good week. We are going to be way busy these next two weeks too. I feel like I am getting the hang of being a ZL effectively now. But the president told me before, "Just when you get good at a calling or assignment, you get a new one! It does keep you humble though."
I have a feeling I won't be a ZL much longer. I feel like I have so much more to do and learn and study and I only have a year left.

I love you guys and am really happy that we are a family - and will be
forever. Have a great week!!!
-Elder Dustan

No comments:

Post a Comment